.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Monday, November 28, 2005

Dave Matthews Band--Live in Omaha!

Well, the dumb-head is finally starting to clear, and I thought I would post a quick review of last nights DMB concert at the Quest Center.

Facilities: A+. That place just looks awesome. And the sound was great for an indoor arena, I thought. It is just so cool to finally have a place like that in Nebraska--anytime you can pull off a concert like the U2/Kanye West show coming up, you know you have a pretty solid venue. And, of course, I saw Pete completely randomly.

Old Market: A+. The place was packed out. It was busier than a weekend, and everywhere we went, we saw several old faces from college. Great times all around. There was such a buzz down there, and people were dusting off their Nebraska binge-drinking shoes. At one point, someone opened the side door and gave me a beer...right in front of the guy watching the door. Between the Quest Center and the debauchery in the Old Market, it DID NOT feel like we were in Omaha. It honestly felt like we were in a big city.

The Concert: A. The only reason I cannot give it an A+ is because nothing will eclipse seeing Ben Harper and DMB play "All Along The Watchtower" at Mile High Stadium in Denver. Other than that, it was fantastic. Great jams, but tight--the flow of the songs were great (although they took fairly long breaks between songs). People were unbelievably loud--I have never been to a concert that was that loud, fan-wise. And there was a serious good vibe from the band, too. This was the third show on their Winter Tour, and they certainly seemed rested up and fresh. Here's what the official DMB Road website said about it:

It's amazing to catch a DMB show after they've been off the road for a couple months. Songs that we've heard for years seem to take on a new dimension after a little time away. Seek Up, Nancies, What Would, Two Step, Everyday; they all sounded as fresh tonight as they ever have. We could sense the excitement of the band as they came off the stage, knowing that they had just put on a great show. We're all fired up for what's to come over the next few weeks. See y'all in Madison on Tuesday.

Setlist: A. Frankly, I was shocked how balanced this setlist was. 6 songs off the new album, all but one I personally like ("Hunger for the Great Light" is a garbage song, but it still sounded solid live). The rest of the songs were a sweet selection, especially "Seek Up," "Dancing Nancies (where we think Dave said "....lost somewhere in Texas." Have another scotch, buddy!)," "What Would You Say," "Two Step," and a thunderous show-closer in "Ants Marching."

Overall: A+. Sunday nights just don't get any better than that, my friends. Dave Matthews Band totally shined, but the shocking thing was Omaha shined just as much.

Comments:
I agree with everything you said, except for the setlist. I am not a huge What Would You Say, Where are You Going or Ants Marching fan, although Ants was as good as I've ever seen them play it. Could have been better old school songs is what I'm saying, like #41 or Granny. The new songs I surprisingly enjoyed, considering the last Dave album I bought may or may not have been in this decade.

Omaha is turning into a great arena show town, though, there is absolutely no doubt. With the Old Market so close to the Qwest Center it is fucking awesome. Wish I was going to U2 and the Stones, hopefully there's still a chance.

Overall I give the band an A, Omaha concert scene an A+ and the setlist a B.
 
Pete, you are probably right about the setlist. Now that I have calmed down a bit, there are a lot of songs that I wished I could have heard. The reason I bumped it up to an A is because it suprised me how many old songs he played.

I amend the grade to a B+. Overall night still stands at an A+.
 
i absolutely loved the Ants Marching...one of the best Dave closers i've seen...probably second best to the aformentioned Watchtower. The Christmas Song teaser was pretty sweet as well.

As for the surroundings...I felt like I was back in college, can't believe how many UNL friends I saw there.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?