.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Alamo Bowl Preview: We Must Protect This House!



It's GAMEDAY, bitches! A couple of thoughts:

1. I do not know that Michigan is going to run the ball very effectively against us. Our front guys on defense is, basically, the only place where Nebraska has the clear advantage. If NU shuts down the run, I believe this is a winnable game.

2. The San Antonio paper reported today that they believe that 50,000 Nebraska fans will be there tonight. 50,000! 60,000 went to the Rose Bowl in 2001. Add el Big Boi and Hales, who have probably been drinking the last 48 straight hours, and we might have the loudest Alamo Bowl crowd in history. Just having that home game atmosphere should really help the Huskers....

3. ....and not really hurt Michigan. Playing in the Alamodome is like playing at Northwestern when they have a crappy team. The "big game" atmosphere really should not effect them whatsoever.

Look--I love Nebraska. I love their chances of going down there and putting on the most heart-filled, will-not-be-denied effort and pulling the upset. But Michigan is better everywhere but at the d-line and special teams. We are totally out-athleted (duh). The only things that I am holding onto here are (look, another list!):

1. Bill Callahan. Michigan gave up 144 yards of offense to Ohio State--their most bitter rival--in the second half of the fourth quarter. Billy C. showed what he can do with a bye week. I am very anxious to see what he can do with a bye month. Because, regardless if we can execute or not, Callahan is going to have an offensive game plan that will be superior to Michigan's defensive game plan. Again, it comes down to execution. This is, obviously, going to be very tough for the Huskers.

2. Rushing game. Like I mentioned above, if we shut down Michigan's rushing game, I like our chances. They have a very good running back in Mike Hart. However, he may be rusty. On the flip side of this, is our running backs. Michigan has been susceptible to the run this year. If we can establish a rushing game--which I believe will include a lot of Marlon Lucky--our passing game will be hard to stop. You know that Zac Taylor is brimming in confidence after that Colorado game. He showed that he can be a real force throwing the ball when he A) has time in the pocket, and B) when he gets in a rhythm. Let's hope that Cory Ross and Lucky get going early.

3. Defense. Again, as mentioned above, I like our defense here. Sure, Michigan's offensive line are a bunch of power forwards with 300 lb bodies, but we are certainly quicker than them. If they can establish themselves, I have enough confidence in our secondary and linebackers that we can keep their scoring to a minimum.

I guess that is about it. Gun to the head prediction? We'll probably get beat. Fortunately, I do not have a gun to my head. So I'm saying:

Huskers 30 Wolverines 24

What do you think?


Comments:
I have a bad feeling about the game, but I just have to hope that the Huskers can hang in there!! I always gotta cheer for my guys.
 
Mike,

I think the real key lies with scoring a lot of points and keeping our defense off the field. If me move the ball expeditiously it will take the pressure off our defense to be a bunch of mini Charles Bronsons...

...Which is good. The key on the defensive side of the ball is our defensive line shielding (yes, shielding) our sudden and drastic ineptitude at linebacker. McKeon, Ickes and Brandenburgh are not exactly like throwing Butkus, Singletary and Brian Bosworth at these guys.

And you guys are killing me with this Callahan game plan talk. In the words of Rick Pitino, "Vince Lombardi ain't walking out of that locker room."

Best case scenario: Taylor plays well, we establish a running game, stop their rush, and get a turnover or three. We win a close one.

Worst case: They run the ball against our depleted linebacking corps, set up play action and beat us with their speed over the top, and completely shut down are run, forcing Taylor to basically win by himself. They blow us out in scary fashion.

The answer, as usual, will lie somewhere in the middle.

That being said, we can beat this team 3 games out of 10. This, ladies and gentlemen, is one of them.

Skers 27 Michigan 21.

GO HUSKERS!
 
Having watched most of the Michigan games this year, I believe the Huskers have one thing going for them. Michigan loves to play to the level of their opponent.

That being said, their offensive line will not block, their white receivers will drop passes, and their coach will look clueless.

Michigan will win this game, but "closer than the experts think."

MI 17 NE 10
 
Please don't use the Satan reincanate Pitino in reference to something I wrote ever again, please.

I meant to include the linebacker thing--that could really, really suck. TJ (I think it was him) said that there is no real drop off from Rudd, as the guys behind him are faster. I guess we'll see. That really does worry me, though.
 
Im thinking Michigan 24 Nebraska 7.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?