.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Hot Stove

I apologize for my previous "YEEESSSSSS" post--it was done in haste (actually, I was so excited about it, I was late for a meeting just to post that quick). I think that it is time to break down where the Cubs are at right now.

1. Trade for Juan Pierre. This fills, what I believe, thier number one hole in the club. The Cubs with a legitimate leadoff hitter (let alone one that has a career OBP of around .350 and stole over 50 bases last season) is a completely different, and way better, team.

2. Free Agent signings. The addition of not one but two very good bullpen guys cures the Cubs' other Achille's Heel from last year. The bullpen was among the worst last year. Now, on paper, it is one of the best in the NL.

There is still work to be done. As of right now, there is no right fielder. However, there is the option of putting Patterson or Pierre in right, along with Matt Murton in left. Other options include the following hot rumors as of this afternoon:

1. The Mets are working hard to get Manny Ramirez. Apparently, they need a third team to complete the deal. The Cubs are being reported to be said team. It was reported by a USA Today reporter on Dan Patrick today that the Cubs would send 3 mid-level prospects (I heart Jim Hendry), the Mets get Manny, and the Cubs get Cliff Floyd. This would be an incredible trade--Cliff showed what he can do on a full, healthy season.

2. Milton Bradley. Ugg. Great talent, huge d-bag. I really hope this doesn't happen, but it has been confirmed by Dusty himself that he flew out to wherever Bradley lives in the offseason and talked to him about possibly coming to the Cubs.

3. Aubrey Huff. This would be the best option. Young, good defender, and actually has very comparable offensive stats to Aramis Ramirez--which I didn't believe until I looked at the numbers. He is a .300/30 HR/100 RBI-caliber player. I think he was right around that last year, except his average was around .270-.280.

Then there's shortstop. I think that people believe that because we were persuing Furcal so hard, the Cubs really needed a shortstop. They don't. They have 21-year-old Ronny Cedeno, who last year in the minors hit .355 with a .400+ OBP. He hit .300 with a .350+ OBP in 80 AB's for the Cubs last year (including hitting better in day games, which is an important split). He's got a solid glove, as well. The Cubs *need* to play him, along with Matt Murton. These two guys are the present and the future.

That's all I've got for now--can't wait for Spring Training! Wait 'till next year!

Comments:
And what are they saying the Red Sox get out of that trade, prospects? There is no way in hell that Lucchino and Henry take prospects for Manny "F-ing" Rodriquez. There's no way Manny gets traded at all. You can't just give up 130 RBI without getting something comparable in return. If Manny does get dealt, then the Redsox have a horrible season. Papi will simply be pitched around every game and the rest of the team can't generate the kinds of numbers these two put up (unless Lowell can pull a Giambi and overcome the post-steroids era). I just never see Man-Ram leaving until he's a free agent. Why would he leave? He's the best hitter in the American League to make sure that he sees pitches. He has the smallest left field in the history of left fields, so he doesn't have to run at all. He's worshipped in the city of Boston and he has the coolest looking condo I've ever seen. He won't leave. You hear me, HE WON'T!
 
I meant to say he HAS the best hitter in the American league to make sure he sees pitches.
 
Yes, that is what the USA Today reporter said, the Red Sox would get mid-tier Cub prospects.

Manny is a retard, and wants to leave Boston. He has his condo for sale. I think you're living in Bolivia thinking that he will be back for sure.

And keep in mind, while it seems that the Red Sox get nothing for this, they do get prospects and a HUGE chunk of their payroll. They can sign 3 or 4 solid players for one great one.
 
Sorry, my brain isn't necessarily in proper working order right now.
 
Is Juan really that big of a pick up. All he has is speed, which is good but I wouldn't expect a huge boost to the offense because of it. I think of him as an older Tavares, they had identical .OBP of .325, both are insanely fast (Tavares is faster though), both never walk or make the pitcher work (Juan has the edge in this category). My point being that if I knew what Tavares was going to bring to the table at this time last year I would not be creaming my pants over it. He is a great player, can turn a single into a double or a triple but I would rather have a guy that works counts, fouls off pitches, and takes walks leading off for my team. I think that produces more runs than speed.
 
All he has is speed, and a career .305 batting average and .355 OBP.

Is it really that big of a pick up? The Cubs main two leadoff hitters last season, combined, had an OBP of .276.

Do you have any other questions?
 
Also, I just read this today--statistically, he is the best center fielder the Cubs have had since....HACK WILSON.

Hack averaged 142 RBI's a year. From 1926-1930.

You think I'm kidding...
 
But...

Like I said, last year his OBP was .325 and like I said the guy does not work counts and draw walks. I am not doubting he is an improvement, I was just saying that the Astros got the samething last year and there offense was terrible. Although an improvement, I don't think you are going to see the Cubs offensive stats improve by that much b/c of Juan. I believe the guys who improve offenses are the guys who bat behind the lead-off. Now if they pick up someone like Abreu, that would be a huge improvement to their offense. Juan...not so much.
 
My main man Rob Neyer backed me up on this one in an article today. You have to know Mikes ESPN insider username and password in order to read it though.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=2253699&CMP=ILC-INHEAD
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?