.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Friday, December 16, 2005

This Front Office Frustrates Me

As one of the few Royals fans in the country, I am outraged. Why? Because Allard Baird just signed Mark Grudzielanek and Doug Mientkiewicz (as well as Scott Elarton and Paul Bako, but they are inconsequential at best). I really wish this team would decide if they are in the midst of a youth movement or looking to veteran leadership. Everything I heard last year from the front office was that Buddy was brought in to mold this young group of potential stars (stop laughing...seriously, stop) and build a team from within the organization. Signing a 31- and 35-year-old to one year deals doesn't sound like youth movement signings. Do we even need to talk about Juan Gonzalez? No? Good. Whenever I hear Allard talk about the youth movement, the only thing that comes to mind is a quote from one of the classics: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means" (Inigo Montoya).

Comments:
Why don't teams like the Royals and Tampa Bay try and copy what the Marlins have done? If you can't win it this year then trade all you talent away and set yourself up for a chance in 3-4 years, don't bring in guys like Mientkiewicz, Grudzielanek, and Elarton. Does there front office really believe those guys are difference makers? And speaking of that, I bet in about 4 years the Marlins once again will be in the running for a World Series.
 
That's exactly my point. In order for there to be a youth movement, you actually have to commit to youth, which the Royals seem to be completely incapable of doing.
 
These signings raised my eyebrows, for sure. Even though Bako and Grudz are, from everything I have read, great clubhouse guys. Bako, in particular, is a solid signing, because he really knows how to work his staff. Really, this is a signing that is going to help the catchers and the pitchers.

Other than that, I agree with everything you guys are talking about.
 
My only concern with the Royals is how long it takes them to pull Gordo up to the bigs...other than that i barely know the team exists.
 
I also just noticed that they dropped Kenny Harvey...I will now notice them even less until Gordo gets the call up.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?