.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Grammys....

are horse shit. Common did not win a single one. You guys can make fun of me and disagree all you want but BE was my favorite album of the year, and the best hip-hop album of the year. I love Kanye West, but to say that Late Registration was better than BE is ridiculous (referring to LR winning the Best Rap Album award). Kanye produced the damn thing, for God's sake! Common does not need guest stars to fill up his album to make it great--in fact, one of the songs on LR ("My Way Home") is a fucking Common song! 'Ye isn't even on the damn thing!

Some other horse shit:

Kelly Clarkson winning (I believe it was this award) Pop Vocal Performace of the Year. Um, OK. I'm going to call you a liar if you tell me Kelly Clarkson's song that won is better than anything that Gwen Stefani put out. But for you to tell me that Kelly Clarkson--who, more than likely, did not even write the song--deserves to win anything other than a swift kick in the ass over Paul McCartney? Are you serious? Seriously, think about that--Kelly Clarkson won an award for having better music than Paul McCartney. Paul McCartney's turds have more talent in them than that girl has in her whole damned body.

U2 winning Album of the Year. Come on. I like U2, it is a great album, but Album of the Year? That, just like the entire Grammy award process, is such a safe and pussy choice. Kanye's album was much, much more daring and *puts on Nostrodamus hat* much more influential than U2's. Seriously. U2 put out a great, straight-forward rock album. Kanye put out one of the most important albums released since Paul's Boutique. It, down the road, will be that influential.

Which brings me full circle to how I started this post--"But GA Hill," you're asking yourself, "didn't you just say "BE" was a much better rap album than "Late Registration" you dumb ass?" Yes, I certainly did. "BE" was a hip-hop classic, a masterpiece. Common's lines were tight and creative, the beats incredible--a perfect comeback record for Comm. But "Late Registration," I believe, is going to be one of those albums that will be listened to and referenced heavily to 20, 30 years from now. Kanye pulled hip-hop up to a whole new level, where he made "rap songs" into things that transcend musical genres (with much, much help from Jon Brion). "Late Registration" is our generation's "Songs In the Key of Life"--a critical and popular masterpiece that still sounds new today.

U2 will be played on classic rock radio. Kanye West will be a bookmark for rappers, producers, musicians, singers--the whole music industry for decades to come.

So why didn't he win the Grammy, again?

Comments:
I like BE too. I also thought 2 years ago, when Kanye won a shit ton of grammy's for The College Dropout, that Talib Kweli's- A Beautiful Struggle was WAAAAAAY better. And I liked College Dropout.
 
A Beautiful Struggle was fantastic. I disagree with you, however, that it was better than College Dropout.

And not coincidentally, the best tracks on ABS were produced by Kanye.

And by the way, I do not blindly defend Kanye, I just think that in this case, Kanye's album is consistently better than anything Talib has put out. He has flashes of brilliance on all of his albums, but then follows it up with a dud. That said, I have heard that his newest EP/mixtape is straight fire.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?