.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ping!!!!!

2 days 'til Husker baseball starts their season. Can't wait, I know that some of you may not believe me, but Husker baseball may very well be a bigger passion for me than any other Husker sport.

Tony Watson will start Friday against Charleston So. in a game that is not associated with the tourney that they are playing in the rest of the weekend. Joba goes on Fri., GI Johnny on Sat. and Sun. is officially TBA but i expect to see newcomer Jared Cranston who is getting some lofty praise.

Newcomers you should familiarize yourself with:
Cranston-JUCO transer out of Kansas, LHP who was drafted last year in the 40-something round. It's expected that he will give Watson a run for his money as the weekend sunday starter. Basically with him in the mix we have 4 starting pitchers who will all be highly drafted in the next 2 years, that's unheard of.

Andrew Brown-JUCO 1B/DH who will platoon w/ Buckman at first...has a lot of pop, hit 20-some HR in JUCO last year. Right handed so will work nicely w/ buck.

Steve Edlefsen-1 year JUCO..drafted in '04, middle IF who will likely start at 2B but may play some 3rd as well. NOt much power but hits for a good avg. and is supposed to be a whiz w/ the leather.

Jesse Shriner-JUCO Catcher who will give Jeff Christy a much needed backup...Christy caught 95% of the games over the last 2 months last year which is brutal. Having a good backup will be great this year...hit 21 HR in 2 years of JUCO so he could DH as well.

Luke Gorsett-Get to know this name for sure...he will start at a corner OF spot all year and will be in the middle of the lineup. Led all JUCO's w/ 24 HR last year and hit 39 combined in 2 years and drove in 120+ runs. He'll be the protect for Andy Gerch...big key to this year's success.

Erik Bird-Hard throwing RH freshman from Omaha...is the heir apparent to Jensen as next year's probably closer, will be a key set up man this year.

A lot of this year's success will be determined by just how far our starting pitching can take us...it's good enough to take us back to Omaha and has the potential to be the best starting rotation ever at our beloved alma mater. The bats are where the questions remain...Gerch will DH for the first half of the season due to shoulder surgery, it might be asking a lot for him to be great until that shoulder is completely healthy. Bryce Nimmo will take over the leadoff/CF position and was avg. at best last year...he does possess great speed but he's a big question mark. Buckman was great in pre-conference last year but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn once he started seeing big time pitchers, hopefully he can adjust and be the everyday first baseman. Christy might be the best defensive catcher in the nation but he'd better hit better than .220 this year.

Anyway enough rambling, everybody get your live stats ready for Thursday at 2:00.

Comments:
TJ--Glad you are such a recruiting nerd, this is the kind of info I need brotha! Let me know what game you're taking me to.

I'm also fired up. If the sticks come around then we'll be a Top 10 team and host a Super Regional.

Hoping that Watson lives up to his hype finally and that Dorn doesn't slump. Joba has been throwing 98 in practice I heard? Unreal, probably roids. Hopefully he's still morbidly obese.

I'm all about it this year. I'll be listening on the radio and going to a ton of games.
 
Pete,
A buddy of mine from work and myself split 5 season tickets so i should have on available for most games, just let me know ahead of time what games you want to attend and i will tell the fiance that she can't go.
I hate to inform you of this but Joba is no longer large...he lost like 25 pounds in the offseason, but gained muscle mass and is throwing harder than he ever has....can't wait to see him bring it.
I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction that Watson has a better year than Dorn. I think Tony is the real deal.

Here is also my open invitation to any Heavy Souler who wants to go to a game..give me a call and i'll do my best to get you a ticket, but i promise a good tailgate. I tailgate with a group of work people for about 75% of the games. Billy is a frequent attender as well.

I'm predicting 17-4 going into conference.
 
Oh Yes, back to Haymarket Park for another year of tailgates and baseball. I want you all to know that I have been practicing my washer box and am not afraid to go toe to toe with any of you!

I don't understand why I really enjoy college baseball but don't really care for MLB. I enjoy the live game for the social aspect a great deal though.
 
I think you can get live audio of the first game here:

http://csusports.athleticsite.com/webcast.asp
 
Anyone considering dropping $9.95 per month for HuskerNSide? Sounds like they've got live video of most of the games, including all of them this wekened.
 
Every baseball game i believe in on NSide...i already have access to it through a buddy I used work with who so kindly gives me his password each year in exchange for tickets when he's in town. I watched most road games on it last year and it's suprisingly good quality. Also Brewsky's is very good about broadcasting all of the games on their big screen from NSide so you can always watch it there.
 
Does anyone know if the Omaha Bresky's is doing that?
 
TJ--Also, thanks for the generous invite. I will definitely be seeing you down there on a few occassions. I can usually score a few tickets myself but wouldn't mind catching a game or two with ya. We'll be in touch.
 
***Correction****
I incorrectly said the game started at 2:00 today...it's actually 2 EST so have your live stats rolling at 1 our time.
Sorry for the confusion
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?