.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Friday, February 17, 2006

Time for a vote.

The subject: Jack Johnson

Some background: JJ first became a Heavy Soul favorite when he opened for Ben Harper in the spring of 2001 (at least I think that's when it was). He has rolled along and I've generally remained a fan, seeing him approximately 10 times in concert. And I think his live show has generally progressed. With the addition of the guy from ALO on tour this year (he was also on the somewhat recent Austin City Limits), the songs definitely have some more depth and character live. On an unrelated note, my personal JJ concert highlight is when Jimmy Buffett joined him on-stage for Pirate Looks at 40. But the most recent studio album made me start to wonder whether or not he was just a one trick pony, and I happened to like his trick. And now he has this Curious George thing, which I know nothing about but am guessing probably isn't a departure from his past musical style, plus it's a kids movie....

To the vote:

_____ Jack Johnson rules

_____ Jack Johnson used to rule, now he's kind of worn out and a weenie.

_____ Jack Johnson never ruled, i.e. he has always been a weenie.

Comments:
I'll vote used to rule..

On another note...jesus we were drunk at that Harper/JJ show in Ames...i still have a picture on my phone from gage falling down for no apparent reason.
 
Oh boy, Pete is going to have a heyday with this one.

Anyways, Jack Johnson pretty much is a one-trick pony. But he happens to perform that trick very well, in my opinion.

As I have argued to Pete about 3,000 times, I don't expect nor want Jack Johnson to progress into some great artist like Wilco. I enjoy what he does as is, and there is really no reason for him to change it. He's a laid back surfer dude, and makes laid back surfer dude music. And I like it like that.

And the Curious George soundtrack is, from the little bit that I have heard, much like his first album with guest spots by G. Love and Ben Harper.

So...yes, he is a weenie. But I happen to like weenie music every now and again, so I am going to lean towards choice "A."
 
I am a huge flip-flopper when it comes to JJ. I really like some of his songs and I really do not like others. And in some cases I like versions of songs and not versions of others. Take the song "Breakdown" for instance. I don't really like the studio version all that well, however the version that was done by Handsome Boy Modeling School is awesome.

I think JJ has a nice flowing guitar and a easy voice, but where I think I get hung up is on his lyrics. They just seem to get really corny and hokey at times. Songs like "bubbly toes" make me want to throw up.

Overall I like JJ and I think he has and will continue to have songs that are really good. I think someone could throw together a 15 song greatest hits and it would really be good.

I guess my vote is: Jack Johnson rules (at times)
 
I meant to include that Handsome Boy Modeling School example in my comment--nice catch, napa. That whole album rules in general, by the way.
 
I'm going to go with B. As any shrewd debater will tell you, let someone else make your arguments for you.

I don't have a problem with people liking him, I just think he gets old fast, and then you have the whole lack of evolution thing as a result.

I will never purchase his music again. Especially when there are artists like Steve Earle in this universe.
 
Used to rule, I don't even buy his new stuff for the same reasons as everyone else has mentioned. I've heard that same song 2603 times because he won't change it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?