.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Monday, February 13, 2006

What is an athlete?

MIB, Big Boi and I were having beers last night (weird), and I innocently commented that I don't particularly care for the Olympics. Naturally, this led to an hour-long fight between MIB and I over what should be an open-and-shut argument:

Who are better athletes: Olympians in general, or professional athletes in the major sports in America (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL)?

Predictably, MIB took the side that these winter athletes are relatively just as good of athletes as, say, a player like Ahman Green.

My argument is this, because it came up during luging and MIB was appalled that I did not give the "atheltes" enough dap. So here you go--please vote in the comment section:

If you took Darrin Erstad--a 16-time letter winner in high school, a college National Champion punter, and World Series Champion and gave him a month to prepare for the luge. Then you take whoever won the Gold in the luge and give him a month to prepare for a weekend series against the Oakland Athletics.

Who is going to perform better?

My contention: Who the fuck do you think is going to preform better? Errrrrrrrrrrrrstad. And it is not even remotely close.

Comments:
One vote Pro athletes.

And I hope MTV has an upcoming Made episode featuring Erstad wanting to be made into an olympic luge contestant. That would be way better than the usual fat high school kid who has no friends.
 
All I have to do to prove my point is to imagine LeBron James ski jumping. No matter his body control, he will fall, fall hard, and possibly die. No ski jumper will die in the NBA.

The point I was trying to make (which was inevitably skewed by GA) was that while pro athletes have the athletic ability to excel in their respective sports, that athletic ability does not necessarily translate to Olympic sports.

On the other hand, I'm sure most of the US Olympic team has played one of the major sports as a child or at some point in their lives. And I know from a credible source that nobody in the NBA has ever luged.
 
Tiger is not better at golf than Michael Jordan was at basketball. Michael Jordan won 6 NBA Finals without a center, and with Scottie Pippen, who turned out to be one of the most overrated players of all time once Jordan left.

You are out of your mind, D2.
 
Oh, and Jordan was a guard.
 
Hey, I love the countdown to opening day 2021 you guys added.
 
Yeah, damn it, I cannot get it to reflect April 1st of this year. It is really pissing me off.

But thanks for noticing.
 
For a guy who hadn't played baseball since high school (15 years or so), to come out and hit .220 in Minor League Baseball is a hell of a lot more than average.
 
I love the countdown, if you can get it to work right, but for shit's sakes get that F'ing Cubs logo off of here. This isn't a cubs blog.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?