.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Big Snub

Background:

I don't know if any of you watched or heard about the White Sox/As game on Monday, but it was Frank Thomas' big return to Chicago. The Chicago fans, having a reputation for being degenerates showed a lot of class by giving the big hurt a standing ovation before his first at bat. In that same at bat he cranked a homerun. Showing more class and respect than really neccessary, the Sox fans actually cheered for the homerun and applauded as he rounded the bases. It was pretty cool.

More background:

I work in downtown Chicago across the street from the Westin hotel. The Westin is where most of the sports teams stay when they come to town. Everyday a group of about eight guys wait across the street with notebooks, basballs, hats, programs, or whatever to get autographs as the player leave the hotel en route to the games. Its the same eight guys everyday and it is kind of pathetic, but I don't judge.

Today:

As I watched the autograph hounds from my window, a huge black Bentley pulls up at the Westin and the Big Hurt steps out. The hounds proceed to jump to their feet and excited walk across the street to get his autograph. Now I can't hear what goes down but Frank acknowledges the group, but doesn't sign any autographs. He then proceeded to get luggage out of his trunk, walk it up to the valet, turned around, walked back to his car, and drive off without giving any signatures. He was there a total of 30 seconds. The autograph hounds had to walk back across the street empty handed.

Now I don't feel that athletes should get hounded everywhere they go (I saw Barry Zito in our store yesterday and I didn't say anything to him) however I thought this action was very shady considering that when he played here, Chicago fans had nothing but love for Frank. Then you add the outstanding welcome the fans at the Cell gave him on Monday and it seems like he could have taken 30 extra seconds to sign eight autographs in the city that holds the guy in such hig regard. Maybe what Ken Williams said about the guy is right, maybe he is a big jerk.

Comments:
I used to work in the Hancock building. Those autograph hounds are pathetic.
 
I don't feel like what he did is necessarily wrong, considering all these autograph guys do is whore signatures for profit.

A would think that athletes get this a lot, and probably have a fairly decent radar for "pros" just trying to market a signature.

I wonder if Frank will sign for kids hanging around the ballpark. That would form my opinion.

Personally, I don't really have any desire to get an autograph from anyone, I think it's somewhat pathetic for an adult to ask for another adults signature. But whatever floats boats.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?