.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Primary Colors

First of all, LB1024 was signed simply so that OPS would begin negotiating, a brilliant political move by Raikes and Chambers if their ever was one. It worked.

I think it actually makes sense, but apparently thinking that makes me a racist.

Second of all, Heineman's victory shows that you can actually win a political race with solid ideals and a proven track record. This guy, by and large, has done a pretty good job since being put in charge. Even my hippy ass would rate it as about a 7/10.

Third, Pete Ricketts is going to get smoked by Ben Nelson, he made his first gaffe by comparing him to Ted Kennedy yesterday after winning the nomination. No one is going to take him seriously after people have had time to fully process his messages. This guy is possibly more conservative then Stenberg.

I think that you are going to see a huge pasting of the Religious Right during the next couple of months leading up to the election, and I expect to see Nelson win his seat again. And he should, in my opinion. I'm actually surprised that Hagel already hopped on the Ricketts bandwagon, he's probably more politically aligned with Nelson.

Fourth, a question for Lincolnites: Can this broad actually beat Fortenberry? That guys is so worthless.

Fifth, I'm all over the Jim Esch bandwagon, check out his website www.jimesch.org.

Sixth, enough politics, I'm going to Vegas! Later bitches.

Comments:
can someone please explain the omaha schools issue to me?
 
Jeff Fortenberry was a former co-worker of mine before he ran for office...i thought he was one of the biggest cheesedicks to ever walk through the doors of the sandbox. I hope he wins just so he doesn't come back to work....Sorry for being selfish.
 
I really don’t follow current events that well but no one else answered your question so I will give it a go.

Omaha has rich school districts and poor school districts. It was proposed by the poor school districts to combine all of Omaha’s school districts to balance out the wealth. Which really makes sense. Schools like Westside have an abundance of money, so much money that they actually loan each student a laptop that the student keeps during their high school career.

To make things even more stickier, the poor schools are mostly minorities and the rich schools are mostly white.

So how did Omaha solve the problem? The way I understood it was that they are going to redraw Omaha into 3 districts. One mostly black, one mostly white, and one mostly Hispanic. Which is funny because I thought we outlawed segregation.

*Again I would like to point out that I could be way off on this cause I really don’t pay that much attention to this stuff. This is basically just filler until someone who actually follows Omaha’s current events corrects me.
 
I don't know whether or not Hagel is more closely in line with Ricketts or Nelson, but he's been campaigning for Republicans around the country and his PAC has been giving heavily to Republicans in the Senate. His goal seems to be keeping a majority in the House and Senate (though, ironically, losing that might help his bid for the Presidency in 2008).
 
OH MY GOD, I am leaving this comment at work!! I don't know what happened, but I have found some strange portal into the wonderful world of Heavy Soul again!

Anyways, Pete...

So Osborne *doesn't* have a track record? It could be argued that Osborne is maybe the most successful congressmen this state has ever seen. No congressman--let alone one who has only served for six years--has done as much money for Nebraska (specifically farmers) as TO did. He held the following committee memberships:

-Ag
-Education & Workforce
-Transportation & Infra.
-Resources

He was also a member on an obnoxious number of caucuses. He secured about $250M in drought relief for Nebraska. TO would have brought invaluable political resources, contacts, and knowledge that Heineman simply does not bring to the table.

As far as the OPS "debate," you're forgetting a couple of things. One, Chambers *only* voted yes on that bill because he was pissed off at the Omaha business community. He pretty much said as much. He was against it leading up to the vote. It is ridiculous. Not to mention that if OPS were to eat Westside, Millard, Ralston, Papio, and Elkhorn, the system would simply be too big to manage. Look at the worst school systems in America--not coincidentally, they are New York, Chicago, LA, Houston...systems that are far, far too big.

As far as the actual bill goes, you thinking that it would work does not make you a racist. It certainly does not make you right, however. Splitting up OPS by racial and socio-economic lines is, in a word, ridiculous.

It is not shocking that you and I do not agree on political goings-on, but I am suprised on your take of things here. It is not that I think that Heineman will do a bad job here or anything, but involving himself with the Omaha Public Schools debate showed me that he sticks his nose in arenas that he has no business being a part of for political gain. How, exactly, does a guy who has no educational background that grew up in Fairbury, McCook, Benkleman, and Wahoo know what is best for a public school district that has more students than the combined population of the cities he grew up in? Give me a break.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?