.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Move By Yourself

Donavon Frankenreiter's new album, "Move By Yourself," came out today. I've got to say, I'm pretty suprised by it (although not suprised by that ground-out by the Cubs with 1st and 3rd...anyways). He apparently jumped off Jack Johnson's label imprint Brushfire Records for Lost Highway, easily one of the best record labels in the world today.

The album kind of sounds like what would happen if Ryan Adams started listening to a bunch of Billy Preston (who actually died today--RIP to "The Fifth Beatle," by the way), Bill Withers, and other assorted 70's soul music, blended in with some funk and a tinge of folk. Some of it even borders on really soulful Southern Rock from back in the day.

There are a lot of ways to describe this album--"blue eyed soul" comes to mind, although I generally don't like that term--but it definately sounds like he has not been hanging out with Jack Johnson too often over the past year or two since his debut, self-titled album came out.

All in all, a very impressive effort, and a very pleasant suprise. I am very pleased with this purchase--with the amount of hip-hop and indie stuff I have been hearing lately, I did not think I could possibly be in the mood for an album like this, but it is great (with two remaining tracks left on the album). Go pick it up.

Comments:
Gotta disagree, guys. I previewed the whole album, albeit in 30 second clips on my phone, and found most of what I heard to be generic 80's disco beats. Hope when I listen to it in full I am proven wrong.
 
Yeah, listening to 30 second previews on your cell phone...probably wrong. It sounds absolutely nothing whatsoever like 80's disco beats. In fact, I do not even know what "80's disco beats" are, as disco was basically gone by 1980. Good shot, though.
 
Oh, and I know this will break your heart, but...Lost Highway is about 50x's better than Saddle Creek. Seriously.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?