.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Friday, June 09, 2006

Musical Musings...

So I have gone on a music-buying spree not seen in the past couple of years in the past two or three weeks. A few findings:

1. "Life Wasted" by Pearl Jam is one of the best "Track One, Side One" songs ever. In fact, if you were to ask me right now, it is one of my favorite songs ever. But that made me think (along with passing out to watching "High Fidelity" last Thursday)...what are some other great "Track Ones, Side Ones?" Some nominees:

--"Sick Of Myself," Matthew Sweet--100% Fun
--"Come Together," The Beatles--Abbey Road
--"Be," Common--Be
--"Sympathy For The Devil," The Rolling Stones--Beggars' Banquet
--"Brown Sugar," D'Angelo--Brown Sugar
--"Jimmy James," Beastie Boys--Check Your Head
--"New York, New York," Ryan Adams--Gold

Alright, those are just a few--my battery on the iPod is about to go dead, so cannot go much further.

2. Rhett Miller, "The Believer," certainly trumps his debut effort "The Instigator." It is not insanely different or anything, but there is certainly a maturity to it that separates it. Certainly worth the money.

3. Dave Chappelle's Block Party Soundtrack. Pretty mixed on this one, actually. I mean, I love the songs and all, but it is straight from the movie (not to mention that apparently Kanye West did not get label clearance to be included on the soundtrack). This would have been much better served being some sort of boxed set (at least a double-disk!). Highlights: "The Blast," by Talib Kweli (ft. E. Badu) and "Hip Hop" by Dead Prez.

4. Golden Smog. I do not know how in the hell I have never heard of this band--made up of members of Wilco, The Jayhawks, and Soul Asylum (yeah, I know), this band was formed in Minneapolis as a response to the obnoxious punk scene, these guys came together to put out some of the finest alt-country and pop music that you've never heard. In fact, doesn't this actually make them pretty "punk?" I would like to think so. I purchased an album from 1998 called "Weird Tales," and it is fucking great. The reason I even heard of them is because Esquire mentioned them in this month's issue, as they are releasing a new album (their new single can be purchased on iTunes).

5. The Visionaries. Some backpack rap group that I, sadly, heard in American Eagle (I was just looking for sandals!), but their 2004 track "If You Can't Say Love" sounds like Kanye stepped behind the producer's glass and threw down this beat that exudes positivism.

That's about it...hope everyone is enjoying their Friday night. I'm just going to continue to be a music dork.

Comments:
Well, great post. Hope you get enough sleep for your early appointment with father flanigan. Love ya dawg.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?