.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Ramblings...

Some random thoughts this evening...

--Dwane Wade and the Heat pull through. The scary thing is that, not including some stretches of crappiness, Miami played probably as well as they can. This is very bad for the Heat. Wade scores 42 (I believe this is correct), at home, and they muster up a 2-point game? Yeah...this series is over in 5. (Actually, I take that back--if the NBA did not operate in that ridiculous 2-3-2 format, it would be over in 5. There is probably a very real chance it is over in 6.)

--It is hard to believe that The Roots' "Things Fall Apart" was released in 1999. I have written about albums like "Late Registration," "BE," "Dangerdoom," etc. and how great they are--and they are great--but listening to the genius of "Things Fall Apart" reminds me that this is definitively one of the greatetst albums released since I started seriously listening to music. This album sounds like if it were released today, it would fit in just fine with the musical (specifically hip-hop) landscape.

--Drinking on your porch by yourself may *sound* depressing, but it really is quite relaxing. And awesome. Especially when it is 65-70 degrees. And even more so when you have 15 Blue Goodies at your disposal (not saying I have drank 15 of them--just six so far).

--Isn't hard to believe that a team with two All-Americans on it--along with several All-Big XII selections--cannot muster more than 2 runs in their regional? Especially when the regional is hosted in, oh, I don't know, you're home park? I mean, congrats to Luke Gorsettt and Tony Watson and all, but sweet Christ, this seasons should have ended a hell of a lot better than that.

--I am missing yet another Opening Weekend of the College World Series. Now, this is not intentional--Grandpa is taking Denephew and I on a fishing trip to South Dakota as our wedding present (because we're such huge fishermen...anyways...)--but shouldn't there be some sort of punishment coming my way? I somehow deserve it.

--Colin Cowherd is coming to Omaha to broadcast his radio show Thursday and Friday (I believe). I find myself with mixed emotions on this. One, it is awesome that a national radio show in "The Herd" is broadcasting live from Omaha (especially since "The Herd" basically does not have any kind of competition from 9-11, until Rush Limbaugh comes on). I am very excited for Omaha, The CWS, and Nebraska in general. All that said--Colin Cowherd is a d-bag. I suppose he is, appropriately, in between the worst ("Mike and Mike") and the best ("The Dan Patrick Show"--and I know that he has fallen out of favor with a lot of people, but he sure as hell is better than Jim Rome and his fucking "clones"), but still...look, Colin, I know you're opinionated. I know that you make points by taking sports stories and relating to normal-people everyday events. This does *NOT* mean you have to repeat this example for 10 minutes. We get it. I know that it can be hard to fill up time on the radio. It is not that hard. Go ahead and feel free to talk about the latest UCS--*ahem*--college football story. Talk about the latest Yankees--*ahem*--baseball story. Feel free to tell your listeners that it is, in fact, your show--and because of this, you are somehow magically smarter than everyone listening. No matter what. Oops, strike that--no matter what, unless some caller jumps on and says exactly what you said in trying to make a point. Then this person becomes somewhat, kind-of-close to an intellectual equal. But only then.

--I hate soccer. I think it is stupid. So why do I feel so badly about the Americans' loss the other day? I guess because I would--in typical "cocky" American fashion--be completely thrilled with the United States being the best in the world at a sport that we have completely not given a shit about until the past 10 years, and still do not (as a majority) give a shit about. This would be fun. Oh well. There's always 2010.

--I heard incredibly interesting thing during a speech that was given by Newt Gingrich the other day. Scientists believe that over the next 20 years, our scientific knowledge will increase times seven. This is the equivalent of a knowledge/technology gap from the late 1800's/early 1900's to now. Think about that. Light bulbs were hardly around. Records--let alone DVD's--had just been invented. People still used quill pens. Fucking Hawaii and Alaska were not only not states, but they may as well have been part of Russia or something. This is incredible. Random? Yes. I don't know where or how I thought of this. But incredible all the same.

That's it bitches--OUT!

Comments:
I am a huge supporter of the NBA 2-3-2 schedule. . .other than that enjoyed the Wednesday post
 
The World Cup is awful. For reasons that have been mentioned so many times by so many others I don't feel like rehashing them.

I will say I don't watch sports for social significance, if I wanted that I'd watch The Hills.
 
I'm not going to go as far as saying I hate soccer, or the world cup is awful. But I will say the US will never get into this event if we continually suck and lose to the Czech Repupublics of the world and play with no heart. I was actually thinking about what this blow out would equate to in American Football terms, and I don't think 3-0 is quite 42-0, but more of 30-0. While still a blowout, I think every goal in Futbol is about 10 points in football. Soccer doesn't suck, the US sucks at soccer. Personally, if I could waste 3-4 weeks of my life, and had unlimited financial resources, there's no place I'd rather be than a month long party in Germany.

Other than that, quality ramblings GA. Fishing will be great, I caught a catfish on Sunday!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?