.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Random thoughts

- Do we really need to have a-rod and jeter start the all-star game this year? Isn't it enough that we have to hear about these assholes every other day of the season. I know when it comes to the all-star game everyone is a big-time homer but Joe Crede is having just as good of a year at the plate and he's better at 3rd than A-rod. Also, on the other side of the infield how does Paul Konerko not start the all-star game at 1st base. I know big-poppy is awesome, but he doesn't play everyday. While I am at it, how about the starting catcher for the AL. Yeah, I-Rod is a great veteran, but how can you overlook Joe Mauer, that guy is a stud. ( I bet you thought I would pick Pierzynski didn't ya). Enough about that, we all know fans in Boston and NY run the show when it comes to the all-star game.

- I think it is pretty funny that the cubs scored 15 on Sunday and still had a moment of anxiety in the 9th inning when the sox, down 5, had the bases loaded with one out. At least they won, so that the fans didn't have to throw their trash on the field again.

- I case you guys missed it, President Bush showed a rare act of kindness for the environment a couple of weeks ago. He used the power given to him in the National Antiquities Act to designate 140,000 acres of coral reef in Hawaii a national monument. This designation will make it the largest oceanic preserve in the world, ahead of the Great Barrier Reef. Most of the area already had protection by various groups but this disignation provides instant protection removing a lot of red tape. Currently there are 8 commercial fishing licenses for the area and all of them will be revoked. The area is home to something like 7,000 unique species. I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out, and to find out the real reason why he did it. But for now I will take it, its a start.

- I don't know where many of you fall in regards to the environment or your place in it, but this is pretty intersting. There is a program/movement called Go Zero that is a part of The Conservation Fund. This allows for people or corporations to help offset carbon output by making donations that go toward the planting of trees. On the website there is a rough calculator that takes into account things like miles driven, miles flown, kilowatts of energy used a year, etc. and provides you the number of trees that you need to plant in order to offset your carbon out put. It also provides a price for the trees, which can be planted in your name in some 20,000 acres owned by the fund. I found out that Sarah and I need to plant 12 trees at a cost of $68 dollars to "Go Zero" Alot of corporations are doing it. I know the president of The North Face (where I work) did it. So, if you are feeling like you need to do something for the environment, this is pretty cool.

- On a related note, why is the environment a political issue in america. Why are people who care for the environment automatically left-wing, bleeding heart liberals. It makes me laugh everytime Rush Limbaugh denies global warming calling it a "hoax." Everytime there is an environmental debate on TV it shows a Dem. vs a Rep. Now I don't believe humans are entirely to blame for global warming, the history of the earth shows that there have always been heating and cooling periods. However, just because the fire is burning doesn't mean we should keep blindly adding lighter fluid. I just think it is sad that the people making decisions about the environment are making them based on politics. Can we please put politics aside and look at what is really happening not just in America, but around the world.

- I am listening to a little Pavement right now. It is good.

Anyway, that is all. I just thought I would drop a few thoughts on the ol' blog today.

Comments:
I believe that Coldplay figured out how much they would have to donate due to the carbon output from making 1M CD's and albums when they released "XY," and donated that amount. I believe it is to the same organization as you speak of, which is pretty cool.

As far as the politicalization of the environment goes, it is ridiculous. NOT EVERYTHING IS POLITICAL. Which is funny, because you still had an itch to think that Bush did what he did with Hawaii because he had something to gain...

Just kidding.

I was actually rooting for the White Sox to come back and win today, if only hoping there would be a press conference announcing Dusty was out. I don't know what to say about the fans throwing trash out on the field; there does need to be a level of protest towards the Tribune, but I wouldn't say you need to desecrate Wrigley. I read a suggestion of all Cub fans wearing black today, which would have been interesting. But throwing trash on the field is pretty lame
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?