.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Pete's Official Rocky Balboa review

As promised, I made the opening-night trek to theatre #1 at Cinema Center (the only place in Omaha to watch a big movie. Comfy chairs, huge screen, best popcorn, great atmosphere. Makes big movies seem like major events) to catch the sixth and (presumably) final installment of the Rocky series.

The verdict: It delivers as a sendoff, and is slightly better than good. About a 7.3 out of 10. If you're expecting Citizen Kane, it's probably not going to happen. This is Rocky, and it's plot is simplistic and does require you to turn your brain off. Once you do, good times roll and you really do enjoy not just this movie, but everything Rocky symbolizes from 1976 on.

The pros:
The supporting cast is compelling.
There are some past surprises and new characters and most of them bring things to the table. Great Philadelpia shots and of course, Bill Conti's awesome score.
The dynamic between Rocky and son is interesting, I would have liked more of this.
Stallone looks great, and the movie doesn't just assume that AARP Rocky is going to be just like the old Rocky and kick everyone's ass while saving the free world in the process.
The storyline, while asking you to make a few leaps into its reality, is not so unrealistic you question whether or not it's believable.
Not once did I raise my bullshit flag, which is amazing considering how skeptical I was when I heard this movie was being made.

The cons:
MAJOR slow start, the first 10 minutes are pretty bad.
The antagonist, Antonio Tarver, was not developed enough. You don't like him or hate him, he's just there.
Burt Young (Paulie) is 85 years old.
Not enough or Rocky and son, which I felt their dynamic was interesting, the movie briefly explores what it must be like to be the offspring of a local institution or icon, and this should have been more of the storyline in my opinion.
Rocky doesn't chase chickens in this one, nor does he shift his Ferrari 72 times in one mile.

Bottom line: If you like Rocky flicks, which I must say that I am a huge fan, this is required viewing. You HAVE to see it. If you are a casual fan, I would still recommend it. If you've never seen a Rocky movie, don't start with this one.

Excuse me, I've got to go drink some raw egg yolks.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?