.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cassadaga means rocks beneath the water

The new Bright Eyes came out today and I got a chance to listen to most of the album this afternoon. Its a softer sound than a lot of the old stuff: a lot of acoustic guitar and piano. Still this is Connor Oberst and his lyrics give an energy to the songs that goes above and beyond what the music itself conveys. While this cd doesn't have the twelve piece ensemble that Bright Eyes is known for, Mogus and Wolcott really do a lot to make a relatively simple group of instruments sound like more. My favorite songs so far are Coat Check Dream Song, I Must Belong Somewhere, and Soul Singer in a Session Band.

GA and Thunder go ahead and ignore this because I know you two don't give a shit.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Nice label, douche! Er, Deuce!

You are absolutely correct, though. Really don't give a shit.

I found a few albums much better than anything Bright Eyes puts out:

Loose Fur: "Born Again in the USA" and "Loose Fur (EP)"

The Jayhawks: "Live From The Woman's Club, Vol. 2" (didn't even know there was a Volume 2)

Consequence: "Don't Quit Your Day Job"

Thanks again to Pete for finding and picking up "Born Again" for me...much props.
 
By the way, Loose Fur is a Wilco side project deal. I don't know how Tweedy finds so much damn time to pur out so much music...but I thank him.
 
Deucey Ahoy!

I agree completely with your review. They played a lot of these songs in February at their impromptu show and they kicked heaps of ass. I Must Belong Somewhere is my favourite.

BTW...didn't get the tattoo.
 
Rolling Stone: 4 Stars
Pitchfork: 6.0
Onion AV Club: B-
Peterson: I'll let you know in a couple of days, but right away I think, "When the Brakeman Turns My Way" is fantastic. Also digging on I Must Belong Somewhere. Right now it seems as though there are a lot of midtempo songs, but I'm amazingly impressed with the vocals. For Bright Eyes, that's simply astonishing.

Oh yeah, Hales said that he really liked this record, which is what he said about the last one Bright Eyes put out. If Bright Eyes wasn't on Saddle Creek, Hales would be his #1 fan.

Is anyone going to the 4/26 show at Holland? I want to...
 
Though I do think Saddle Creek records is overrated to a high degree. My problem with Connor is that when I listen to him in my car there is not enough room for his ego and me to drive.

That said the new album is good and the music level out his annoying croon.

Best song is Hot Knives
 
Jesus Christ, MIB...you go down under for just over two weeks, and you're writing in Oxford English?

Hales and I decided if you try coming back here with an accent, you're getting a sac taken away.
 
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.
 
Well, we did. So knock it off.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?