.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Good Guys: 2 Old, Overrated Guys: 0


The Bulls continued their systematic dismantling of the reigning NBA Champion Miami Heat, 107-89.

Chicago shot 55.1% from the field, including 64.7% (!) from three. Ben Gordon and Luol Deng led the way offensively with 27 and 26 points each, respectively.

I, for one, am not the slightest bit suprised by this. Yes, it is easy to write off a comment like this from me as I have always loved the Bulls. However, this year is different. I really did not watch much of the NBA this season until the final month of the season, when Pete and I began our enjoyable late night "Tyrus Thomas is sweet" and "Golden State vs. the Suns is like watching the best game of pickup basketball...ever" text message sessions.

Since then, I have felt that the Bulls are a big-time threat to make it to the NBA Finals. So I probably shouldn't have been suprised when my friends at ESPN decided to go ahead and pick against them almost across the board (I figured I would stick with a coherent theme posting over the past couple of days: ESPN sucks). Here are some examples:

--Jeff Weltman (ESPN.com/Scouts, Inc.): "In other words, this series will come down largely to controlling tempo. With Shaq, Alonzo, and a host of quality wing defenders executing Riley's defensive machine, I don't want to bet against the Heat controlling tempo. Wade's shoulder and knee will clearly determine how Heat-like Miami is this series, but I'm assuming he is OK. PREDICTION: MIAMI 4, CHICAGO 2"

What is funny about Weltman is if you continue to read down to his bio, you uncover this nugget of goodness: "NBA analyst Jeff Weltman was assistant general manager of the Denver Nuggets from 2001 to 2006. From 1988 to 2001, he served the Los Angeles Clippers in various personnel, scouting and administrative roles." Wow. No wonder you're so good at breaking down the NBA, Jeff! ESPN only pulls those with the finest sports backgrounds, don't they? (See: Phillips, Steve)

--The other ESPN.com "experts:" Mark Anthony, Heat in 6; Broussard, Heat in 6; Hollinger, Bulls in 6; Sheridan, Heat in 7; Marc Stein, Heat in 6. As far as ESPN Radio goes, I have no links, but do not recall a single host or guest picking the Bulls.

Now, am I ready to say that this series is over? Hell no. We are dealing with a Chicago team here. But the way the Bulls have just destroyed Miami so far with overwhelming team athleticism and scoring ability, I just don't see how they can blow a 2-0 lead. And further proof that ESPN employs people who are paid to have an opinion...just not one they have to back up or anything.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?