.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Friday, May 04, 2007

Inside The NBA / A Rebirth Into The NBA


I love me some 30 Rock and The Office, but "Inside the NBA" might be the funniest and most interesting show on television.

They just did their "Gone Fishin'" for the Mavs, along with a (terribly) photoshopped picture of a bunch of hicks with various Mavs heads, Charles Barkley, Kenny Wilson, and Chuck Norris in the pic. (Charles was a really fat white guy in the picture, by the way.)

And before the unbelievable beat-down of the Mavs tonight by (as Pete calls them) "America's Team" Golden State, Charles looked legitimately sad and pissed when coming to the realization that Houston and Utah will be going to Game 7, which will be Saturday. Which means that Chuck and the "Inside the NBA" crew will be working. Which means he is going to miss the De La Hoya fight.

To this realization, Chuck said--repeatedly--"No one cares about the first round of the NBA playoffs!" God, it was hilarious.

And my rebirth as an NBA fan officially commenced this evening. I'm back on board. You got me again, David Stern...you sneaky bastard.

But I should thank Jim Paxton and Chris Mullen--two of my favorite old players. Because of the Chicago Bulls and the Golden State Warriors, I have been reminded about how much fun basketball can be to watch (which Tubby Smith slowly drained out of me--as UK basketball was the only basketball I really watched for the past 5-8 years). I mean, look at the box score linked above for Christ's sake! In case you are too lazy, here is what the Warriors' starting five's line looked like:

Jason Richardson: 15 pts, 5 rbs
Matt Barnes: 16 pts, 11 rbs
Andris Biedrins: 12 pts, 12 rbs
Baron "Willis Reed" Davis: 20 pts, 10 (!) rbs
Stephen Jackson: 33 (!) pts, 5 rbs

Could you possibly--as a coach or a fan--dream of a finer looking box score from your starters? Incredible. I am still having an incredibly hard time believing this team is coached by Don Nelson. Maybe Avery Johnson is that much worse of a coach. I don't know.

On the negative side, here is an incredible stat line that would make a Dallas fan start "It's Time To Trade Dirk" threads on a message board:

Dirk Nowitzki, PF: 39 min, 2-13 FG, 0-6 3PT, 1-2 FT, 2 OR, 4 DR, 6 REB, 2 AST, 0 BLK, 2 TO, 4PF, 8 PTS.

That is EMBARRASSING. Nice job voting for the MVP award, NBA journalists. Yikes.

Anyways, a great series. The fact that an NBA game and post-game show kept me up until 1:00 am is insane...and I'm glad to be back in the fold as an NBA fan.

Comments:
I also made a rare foray into NBA viewing last night after my late softball game and was struck with the following hypothetical.

If the TNT NBA crew did an NFL pre-game show (regardless of how much they know about the NFL), would you watch it over every NFL show out there, ?

My answer was a resounding yes and I its disappointing I don't watch more NBA to enjoy them.
 
Good point, and agreed. "Inside The NBA" is the easiest "Gimmie Emmy" in the world. It is so infinitely better than any studio show on television in any sport.
 
I must be losing it as well. I have never cared about the NBA my entire life, yet found myself planning my evening around watching the Houston and Utah along with being really excited for Dallas and Golden State. I am not one for jumping on sports team bandwagons but I am on Golden States Nutsac right now!!! I don't know how to handle this NBA excitment.
 
Ok I NEVER comment on sports because my knowledge is not up to par with the big boys on Heavy Soul however..... My theory is the Mavs had a bad run and Golden State sold their souls to a voodoo witch to win. Yes I am a little bitter but some of those half court shots by GS looked a little supernatural.

I am also mad at Owen Wilson. He is from Dallas and was wearing a Mavs hat yet was rooting for Golden State so he could keep his head firmly shoved up Kate Hudson's butt. Being from Dallas, I can only hope that the Suns will win now. I still feel that Nash is one of us.
 
It is cool to see that I wasn't the only one who felt this way...

It was also very apparent at Wrigley on Saturday. I have never seen so many people wear team gear that was not Cubs-related. There were probably 100 people (easily) wearing Bulls shirts.

I have also never seen so many people not wearing Cub gear in general. The bleachers--where in a lot of ways I still love to sit in--have offically become annoying. Not suprising or anything, I know. It's been in the works for years. That said, the levels of stupidity of a lot of people out there really bum me out. For example, one douche bag sat out there and tried chanting "Kearnes got herpies *clap clap clap clap*!" After being rebuffed by all of right field, he went ahead and tried it again....every time Kearnes came out to play defense. As in at least 9 more times. And not once did anyone else join him in the chant.

I guess that made me feel a bit better that no one helped him out, but still...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?