.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Thank you, VH1 Classic

Of course I'm practically addicted to this channel, but I happened to switch onto it tonight during a Twins blowout to catch Classic Albums: Grateful Dead, American Beauty.

I know this is nothing revelatory, but the program served as a reminder of how unbelievable this album was. If you like any Ryan Adams from Demolition-present, then this will serve as the inspiration. If you have not heard it, then check it out. It really is a treat, it's basically the kind of album the suck-ass Eagles wish they could have ever done: Mellow, top-notch musicianship, Garcia really at his vocal peak (although he remains among my favorite vocalists, ever) , country-tinged, and concise. "Truckin," "Ripple," "Friend of the Devil," and "Brokedown Palace" are all here.

Plus, as a fun fact, my 89-year-old grandma owns this CD and plays it while cooking, no joke.

I'm going to give it another listen myself, and I'm betting I enjoy it.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Check out "Cream Puff War" from the summer of '67. It's straight vintage Dead, good stuff.
 
Agreed. I say I don't like The Dead when in fact I love that album, the self-titled one, and "From the Mars Hotel." The rest I could do without ever hearing, but they have their moments.

I also recommend New Riders of the Purple Sage which I always thought of as a Dead side project but allmusic.com is now informing me was actually a real band that Garcia, Phil Lesh, Commander Cody, and a bunch of other dudes just played on when they felt like it. Their song "Lonesome L.A. Cowboy" is great as is their cover of "Dead Flowers."
 
Ryan Adams is totally obsessed with the Grateful Dead.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?