.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Google

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Stating the REALLY Obvious: Mike & Mike In The Morning Is Really Annoying

Again, I feel like I'm just pissing in the wind here, but...Mike Greenberg is really, really annoying.

This morning he breathlessly threw out the hyperbole:

"Alex Rodriguez is having the best start to a season in the history of baseball."

Jesus Christ. How can you be just months from completely throwing this guy under the bus to hero-worshipping him? Especially when it is ultimately leading to the Yankees having an 8-10 record and 4 games back from first (sitting in fourth place, half a game in front of Tampa Bay)?

Not only that, but can we really say this is the best start to a season ever? I mean, I'm sure ol' Greeny poured over hours of web time on Baseball Prospectus and everything, but I'm guessing that there have been similar starts. Hell, here are some in very recent history. I'll have a little guessing game...I left out the games played and home runs here because it would be obvious:



Any guesses? Would you say, looking at these stats (in order to see them better, click on the picture and you can actually read the numbers), that one line is the "best start in the history of baseball?" Of course you wouldn't. You wouldn't because, dear Heavy Souler, you are one of sound judgement and rational opinion-making.

So, have you decided who applies to what line? Like I said, these stat lines are from recent history. And when I say recent history, I mean the years 2005, 2006, and 2007. The players are Derrek Lee (2005), Albert Pujols (2006), and A-Rod (2007).



How could you possibly suggest that the greatest start in the history of Major League Baseball--keep in mind, that spans over 131 years--could be incredibly similar to the best starts of the past two years? If it were the best start in the history of baseball, A-Rod's numbers would be about 20% better in virtually every category over the best starts of the past two years. In fact, I would argue that--unless A-Rod stays as hot or gets hotter over the next six games remaining in April--Albert Pujols had the all-around better month. And Derrek Lee's 2005 start could certainly be favorably compared, especially in the "pure hitter" sense.

Again, to people like Mike Greenberg and the majority of those at ESPN, all that matters is the East Coast, and in baseball, that just means Boston and New York. As long as a player hits a bunch of home runs in the month of April and they have a "B" or a "NY" on their hat, it translates into "the greatest start in baseball history."

It is utterly ridiculous, and beyond me that these guys NEVER get called out on stuff like this by ANYONE that joins them on the air. In the era of instant gratification and the need to have up-to-the-minute news five minutes ago, these type of people get a free pass. Well, not anymore, fuckers! Heavy Soul is on your ass!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
I caught this too. ARod may very well be having the best start in the history of baseball, I don't know, it's among the best I've ever seen, but the constant waffling and flip-flopping by all of these sports radio guys regarding ARod is absurd.

He's absolutely one of the two or three best players in baseball. His bad years (last year) are still great. Yeah, he's had a couple of bad playoff series. It happens. Whatever. It doesn't, in my eyes, make him a bad baseball player.

The arguments they make are completely emotional and inane and are really just made to make excuses for the Yankees losing in the playoffs. It's like they expect the Yankees to win the World Series and if they don't it's ARod's fault. I don't buy it. I've actually heard guys last year say that the Yankees would be better off without. Bet they are not saying that now.
 
I think you said it better than I did, Pete: their arguments are indeed emotional and inane. That's the best way to put it.

And don't get me wrong--it is certainly one of the best Aprils we have seen in our lifetime. But so was Pujols' and Lee's.

I'm also not a "A-Rod sucks/is overrated" guy. He is a great, great player. I'm strictly attacking Mike Greenberg, that oger Mike Golic who allows "Greeny" to say ridiculous shit all day and never calls him out on it, and ESPN in general.
 
I gotta think the month where Jeter dated Scarlett Johannson and Jessica Biel far out trumps A-Rod for the title of "greatest month of any person ever."

I'm just saying, that's all.
 
Well said, Joe. Well said.
 
Another point that I would like to mention is how little ESPN could care if people in the rest of the country are upset with their overwhelming east coast bias.

Afterall let's not kid ourselves New York and Boston being in the top 10 biggest cities in the U.S., New York being number one obviously. On top of the fact that ESPN is in Connecticut which might as well be a suburb of New York.

In my opinion the only answer would be another more centrally located national sports network and other than News Corp. (Fox) could pull that off and it would be difficult at best.

My point is give up or suck it up because it's not going to change. There are plenty of websites out there that will give you all the coverage you need.
 
I think Justin Timberlake dated Scarlett Johanssen and Jessica Biel in the same month, not Jeter. I believe this was also within two months of kicking Cameron Diaz to the curb. Well done. This guy is clearly to banging unfathomably hot chicks in sequence as Don Rickles is to insult comedy: The Godfather.

Jeter did date Jessica Biel and a slew of other hot bitches, however, so he's still got plenty going for him.
 
Jeter... Timberlake...

Which is the ambiguously androgynous pretty boy with funny hair?

OK, bad example....
 
Mike i completely agree with a lot of what you are saying....but aren't all sports radio hosts guilty of making irrational and emotional statements on air just to stir up conversation...frankily, isn't that their job?
It's not just east coast bias on this subject (although yes Espn is completely left coasted)...how irrational is that jack@ss Matt Perault? or even the Avg Joe guys here in lincoln? Don't tell me that they haven't said some irrational comment about our beloved Huskers that would make others not from Nebraska want to puke. Some of the crap that Perault spews about Craydon makes me want to kick him in the balls. Did i mention i hate that guy yet??? He makes me actually hate Craydon more everytime i listen to his show. He went from crying to have an orgasm all during the same show when Altman left and than came back.

My point is...do we really need to rag on the Mike's for making irrational sports comments when its really part of their job???
 
Isn't the left coast mainly California, Oregon & Washington? Not 100% on that one, just looking at the map.
 
EZT, you're totally right. It is just the frequency and ridiculous manner that Greenberg does it.

The guy is just such a flaming d-bag who spews uninformed opinions while laughing way too hard at his painfully not funny jokes.

And don't even get me started on that dork Waukeen (or however the hell you spell the name of the guy that does the INSANELY annoying voice-overs and parody songs)...and how Greeny always comes on at the end of one of these songs with this exasperated laugh, muttering "brilliant, Waukeen" about five times. It is just stomach-turning.
 
What does it really matter. Best start to a season ever??.....who cares. That is like saying someone had the best first lap in the history of Nascar. Or the best opening opening possesstion in the history of the NFL. Lets talk in October and we'll see what really matters.

On that note, how did that sweet start in 2005 work out for Derek Lee. Did the cubs win the Series that year?

Also, I am with hales. If you don't like ESPN, which judging by your numerous posts over the years, you don't. Why do you continue to listen? You are like the Republicans who continue to listen to Bill Mahr or the Democrats who continue to listen to Limbaugh just so they can bitch about what they say. ESPN isn't going to suddenly have a change of heart and realize that the heart of the sports nation is in Omaha Nebraska.
 
I continue to listen because, sadly, it is about the only alternative in Omaha. Not to mention it is basically the only viable sports outlet in the country.

That said, do you think that I really think I am going to stem some sort of sweeping change at ESPN because I throw up a couple of blog posts? Of course not. I guess I didn't realize I couldn't post on topics that will not immediately change because of my opinion.

Just thought it would be good for some light-hearted banter...
 
Oh, and nice cheap shot at the Cubs, napa!

But the point is right on...who cares? Sammy Sosa hit 20 home runs in a month, and the Cubs didn't win any damned thing that year, either.
 
Too bad there wasn't a ESPN midwest. Ya know, so I could watch sports that I actually care about.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
College Term Papers And Research Papers
Term Papers

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?